‘Ᾱina in Schools (Kōkua)
‘ᾹINA IS: Actively Integrating Nutrition & Agriculture In Schools
ʻĀINA In Schools is a farm-to-school initiative that connects children to their local land, waters, and food in order to grow a healthier Hawaiʻi. In addition to encouraging the use of locally grown fruits and vegetables in school meals and snacks, the program teaches kids to grow food in their own school gardens.
ʻĀINA In Schools also provides nutrition education and field trips to local farms, while outreach efforts engage parents and other community members in environmental protection and healthy food choices.
OUR AREAS OF FOCUS:
- Addressing childhood health issues by fostering healthy eating habits
- Encouraging environmental stewardship by connecting children to the land & water that sustains them
- Contributing to a healthy local food system by supporting Hawai’i’s farmers and their produce
Core components include:
- Nutrition Education in the classroom empowers students to make healthy choices that will last a lifetime.
- Garden-based Learning reconnects students to the natural world through the joys of gardening.
- Healthy Food on Campus increases local, fresh products in school lunches and snack programs to provide healthy choices.
Additional components include:
- Agricultural Literacy introduces students to where their food comes from and who grows their food.
- Waste Reduction reduces, reuses and recycles waste in gardens, schoolyards, cafeterias, and classrooms.
- Family & Community Outreach raises awareness to support ‘AINA IS at school and at home.
We would not be able to have these great programs on our campus if it weren’t for the great help from our parent volunteers! We are always in need of more volunteers, whether it be:
-Teach or assist monthly nutrition lessons for grades 2 and 6. (Training Provided)
-Teach or assist monthly garden lessons for grades K, 1, 4, and 5. (Training Provided)
-Teach or assist monthly waste reduction (composting) lessons for grade 3.
-Work with Garden Club (Green Team) caring for the school’s garden (watering, weeding, etc.)
-Participate in Garden Party workdays to get the gardens ready for planting three times a year (Aug, Jan, April).
If you are interested, please let our ʻĀina Coordinator, Espie Chapman, know! firstname.lastname@example.org or 266-7844×230.
’ĀINA in ACTION at LANIKAI SCHOOL:
School Lunch from One Love Café offering Organic, Local Grown, Whole Grain Food, and a Vegetarian Option
Docents for Each Grade that Lead ‘Aina Lessons for Students
Composting Bins Onsite
Recycling Bins in Every Classroom